How to Organize Yourself When Moving To a New House
Moving to a new house can be a challenge even for the best of us – not only do you have to pack and move all your possessions, you will have to develop new routines, make new friends, shop in different places and you may even have to move your kids to a different school. It can, however, be easier of you plan for it. There are certain things that you can do before you move that can help make things much easier. Before we go through them it is very important to emphasize that organizing your move should never be left to the last minute; you should start preparations at least one or two months. Here is what you can do to make moving easier:
• Start by making a list of all that needs to be done. The list should include things like notifying the post office about a change of address, sorting out the details of the sale of your current5 home, packing the different rooms and so on. This list might grow as you discover additional tasks that need to be undertaken.
• Once you have a list you can now start working on it. Pull out a calendar and on it allocate the different tasks. Make sure that you don’t postpone anything on that calendar. If you do you will end up rushing or you may even find that important tasks are not done in time for your move.
• Get rid of all the stuff that you don’t use through a garage sale. The rule of thumb is to get rid of all things that you haven’t used in the last 6 months. This makes it easier to pack since there is no more clutter in the home.
• Look for reputable movers. You want a mover who is known for working fast and who is careful with client possessions. You want a comprehensive service that will take all the boxes that you have packed out of your old home, onto their truck and when they get to your new home they should put every box in the right room. Some movers provide cartons but if you cannot get them from your mover you can buy some from your local supermarket. Buy them in different sizes and don’t forget to buy6 a wardrobe box for your suits.
• Make sure that each box that is packed is properly labeled. It should say what room it goes in and also what is in it. This makes it very easy for the movers to know what goes where and for you it will be easy to unpack and arrange.
• Make sure that the house that you are moving into is cleaned prior to your move (1 or 2 days before). It can be quite disconcerting to move your items into a dirty house.
Lastly, there is one thing that many people overlook on moving day – meals. They are so busy planning the move that they forget that they will not be able to prepare meals at least until the kitchen is unpacked and in place in the new home. Plan to order take-out for the next couple of days.